The End?
In-Sha-Allah, I should be home in a few days drinking a delicious German heffe. Don't have much time to blog as we prepare to leave. I have never been happier to see another unit patch in my entire life.
The other day, we were escorting the deputy governor to Baqubah when a guy pulled up to us and blew himself up in his car, while trying to take us out. Hilarious! He only managed to kill himself. The BEST part is that his jackass terrorist friend was videotaping it and Al-Jazeera aired it, reporting that a bomber rammed the deputy governor and 3 Americans died. Our only casualty was a slightly cracked windshield. And he didn't ram us, he pulled off on the shoulder and detonated. Does Dan Rather work for Al-Jazeera? If anyone can tell me where to find that video clip on the internet, a lot of us in my company are curious as to whether they taped it while hiding in a certain village.
On a separate note, keeping my political and personal opinions out of this medium gets frustrating. But since I'll be home soon, if anyone wants to get into it over a few beers, I'm always game.
Also, I feel like I should continue with Fallujah. The best is yet to come. Sorry for not responding to all of your emails, but I do read them all. Please write again if anyone wants to initiate a dialogue.
Yours,
Red Six
The other day, we were escorting the deputy governor to Baqubah when a guy pulled up to us and blew himself up in his car, while trying to take us out. Hilarious! He only managed to kill himself. The BEST part is that his jackass terrorist friend was videotaping it and Al-Jazeera aired it, reporting that a bomber rammed the deputy governor and 3 Americans died. Our only casualty was a slightly cracked windshield. And he didn't ram us, he pulled off on the shoulder and detonated. Does Dan Rather work for Al-Jazeera? If anyone can tell me where to find that video clip on the internet, a lot of us in my company are curious as to whether they taped it while hiding in a certain village.
On a separate note, keeping my political and personal opinions out of this medium gets frustrating. But since I'll be home soon, if anyone wants to get into it over a few beers, I'm always game.
Also, I feel like I should continue with Fallujah. The best is yet to come. Sorry for not responding to all of your emails, but I do read them all. Please write again if anyone wants to initiate a dialogue.
Yours,
Red Six

66 Comments:
Ok, I REALLY hope I don't get in trouble for this, so I will try to tone down my disgust. I think the Close Combat Badge is [lame]. I think it is a token badge for all the non-infantry, combat arms soldiers who want a CIB. The worst part is that support units like transpo guys are ineligible because they do not close with the enemy. But THEY get into so much shit because they are on the road so much and are a juicy target. Now I'm not an infantry lover. Tankers are the shit. Not only can my soldiers tank their asses off, but we do motorized and light infantry stuff in the city streets and palm groves all the time. AND we call for fire. Tankers do it all. But I am a firm believer in tradition. Which is why I wince when I see non-Airborne qualified soldiers wear Jump boots just because they shine nicely for the boards. Or when somebody wears tanker boots because they are cool(which they are). Leave the CIB for the infantry. And step out of my tanker boots.
Dibs on that first beer with you!
Sarah
tryingtogrok.com
The End?
You had me worried!
I knew there was more to the story in Falluhjah!
Keep it coming and please don't make us wait too long. I'll go nuts if I don't read more soon.
Glad you are out of there soon, it a shame someone will have to replace you. It will be a great day when all American troops have to do in Iraq is worry about the Syrian and Iranian Armies. Much like our troops stationed in Germany and S. Korea have done for years.
Glad to see your comming home safe. Can you give an update on any book deals that may be in the pipeline? I'm sure it would sell well.
Kevin G.
St. Louis, MO
Glad to see your comming home safe. Can you give an update on any book deals that may be in the pipeline? I'm sure it would sell well.
Kevin G.
St. Louis, MO
stay safe...you are doing a great job (doing your job and keeping us informed)... and fill us in on the rest of the Fallujah action once you get back....
If you're ever passing through San Jose (SJC) airport stop by the USO lounge. I volunteer there from time to time and if I'm there I'd be honored to buy you a beer (no alcohol in the lounge though, we'd have to go over to the terminal bar...). Its been awesome reading your blog, can't wait for more!
OH GOD!
So glad you guys are okay.
Must suck to be "Omar", as I do not even think he will get his 72 raisins in Paradise.
Like always, good luck and God speed.
so glad you'll be out of there soon.Keep speaking out--aside--thanks Mike for your USO work.
I'll second mostly cajuns offer. You've got a beer in Baton Rouge any time you want one.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
And just encase 2 days of cajun cookin' and beer isn't enough for you (and why would it be...) head west to Lake Charles and we'll feed you some more.
CL
Thanks for your service there are more than a few of us on the Home Front the really appreciate what you are doing!!!!!!!
ROCK!
Enjoy a good hefe or dunkel while you can, that stuff gets EXPENSIVE in the States... Almost as expensive as a good Belgian..
And of course, there's a case of Franziskaner MÄrzen if you ever make it down Staten Island way..
PROST!!!!!
When you get that heffe, know that when you raise your glass, all of us, with gratitude, toast with you: To your service, your patriotism, courage under fire and your safe return.
If you never write another two words (okay, if you don't it may be more dangerous for you stateside than Iraq :o)) your readers have been well-served, enlightened and entertained.
Continue with Fallujah if you will - I'll read it - but kick off those tanker boots, put your feet up, have a beer and chill. Come back to the quill when you're damned good 'n ready.
Thanks for everything.
P1 A-Rob
Grapevine, TX
alan_robinson@verizon.net
I am very glad to read thatyou are coming home safely. I have appreciated everything you have written about your service; I've never been in combat so I've learned a lot from this. As some people have said in their responses to your blog the issue of enjoying combat and killing is a complex and extremely important one and deserves thoughtful attentiion from every American.
For a report of a different view of that issue you may be interested in an article in the March 2005 Harper's magazine titled AWOL in America.
I am old enough to remember the anger and division in the United States after the Vietnam war and hope we will not have anything like that in the United States now despite profound differences among the American people about this war. We will particularly need to concentrate help for the more than 10,000 soldiers wounded in Iraq. Thank you for your courageous service. Keep safe. Jana Lane email janalane@comcast.net
I am very glad to read thatyou are coming home safely. I have appreciated everything you have written about your service; I've never been in combat so I've learned a lot from this. As some people have said in their responses to your blog the issue of enjoying combat and killing is a complex and extremely important one and deserves thoughtful attentiion from every American.
For a report of a different view of that issue you may be interested in an article in the March 2005 Harper's magazine titled AWOL in America.
I am old enough to remember the anger and division in the United States after the Vietnam war and hope we will not have anything like that in the United States now despite profound differences among the American people about this war. We will particularly need to concentrate help for the more than 10,000 soldiers wounded in Iraq. Thank you for your courageous service. Keep safe. Jana Lane email janalane@comcast.net
I am very glad to read thatyou are coming home safely. I have appreciated everything you have written about your service; I've never been in combat so I've learned a lot from this. As some people have said in their responses to your blog the issue of enjoying combat and killing is a complex and extremely important one and deserves thoughtful attentiion from every American.
For a report of a different view of that issue you may be interested in an article in the March 2005 Harper's magazine titled AWOL in America.
I am old enough to remember the anger and division in the United States after the Vietnam war and hope we will not have anything like that in the United States now despite profound differences among the American people about this war. We will particularly need to concentrate help for the more than 10,000 soldiers wounded in Iraq. Thank you for your courageous service. Keep safe. Jana Lane email janalane@comcast.net
Hey Neil!
Yeah! We all knew you were short- hope you have a safe and quick trip home.
I need to email you later, so I'll keep this short. Interesting comments on the CCB- suprised me.
Godspeed, Red 6!
It's been great reading you. I hope you'll have the time to continue the story of the battle of Fallujah.
Go Tankers! You guys rock...
And if you or members of your platoon find themselves in the SF Bay Area, drinks and grub are on me.
All the best...
Travel safe, travel happy...We all appreciate your willingness to do what you do, and want your home-coming to be everything you dreamed of. Go and make it so!
neil,
Thank you for your posts. You have brought more than stories of the war home to us. You have given us renewed faith in the American spirit through the eyes of our soldiers.
As for the video, if it shows up, it will show up on www.ogrish.com or www.fallujah.us. I hope those videos show up and you can level the camera spot before you go.
Godspeed soldier. You and your crew did one hell of a job. Thanks for letting us share.
Neil -
I recently discovered your site while reading this San Francisco Chronicle online. From that point I was hooked. As a former MI Soldier, I realize why I always got a long better with 19 Deltas and 19 Kilos, than I did my own MI Bretheren; as they are the guys that actually get to see the nitty gritty and do all the shootin' and lootin'. I've got friends of my own still over there, and it's good to know that there are guys like you out there watching all of our backs. Keep up the great work Be safe as you redeploy back to your home station, it would be terrible to lose someone this close to the end.
For that video, try looking at Ogrish.com they have alot of stuff like that and get alot of it from al jazeera.
keep safe.
Neil -
As for the Video of your Suicide Bomber, I think I may have seen it, if it was one of ol' dude driving an Ambulance on his way to see Allah. FBIS has it online, you being a Government Employee should be able to get access to www.fbis.gov. If not I am betting your S-2, if they are on point will have access to the site and should be able to pull up the video. It was on the front page of the site when I pulled it up this morning. Hopefully you guys can find the point at which that video was taken because it looked like there was a second video showing some guy getting sniped from what appeared to be the same position
Have a safe trip home! And thank you (and your troopers) so much for what you do! I'll try to help with tracking down the video.
Cheers!
Have a safe trip home! And thank you (and your troopers) so much for what you do! I'll try to help with tracking down the video.
Cheers!
www.gogordon1.com
Beers on me anywhere any time we are in each other vacinity. Thanks and let me know if you are thursty! I am in Connecticut. -Yarbz
jyarboro@stpaultravelers.com
Neil,
Congratulations on a job well done and welcome back. I'm scheduled for re-assignment to Germany in a few months. If you're still there, I'd love to have a beer with you.
Congrats, Lt. I'm sure that hefe will taste damn good after sucking dust and diesel for so long. You've definitely earned it... We all appreciate your service to your country and the great storytelling.
Your service has honored your country. Thank you, and have a safe trip back home!
However, a note regarding tanker boots:
Which is why I wince when I see non-Airborne qualified soldiers wear Jump boots just because they shine nicely for the boards. Or when somebody wears tanker boots because they are cool(which they are). Leave the CIB for the infantry. And step out of my tanker boots.My civilian girlfriend has a pair of tanker boots that she looks *hot* in. Can she get a personal redsix exemption from the 'only tankers get tanker boots' policy? I am willing to negotiate with either care packages, beer money, or pictures. :)
Email: nameisnuh@hotmail.com
Thanks again for everything - your blog, your leadership, and service in a glorious cause.
Red 6, glad to hear you're coming home. I've just been reading for a few weeks, but I've really enjoyed your narratives. Can't wait until you finish the Fallujah story, but take your time, come home safe, and catch up on family first.
My brother was assigned to 10th Mountain Infantry, Ft Drum. He got back home last September.
Thanks for your service and for the tales of your exploits in the new Republic of Iraq! (not to be confused with People's Republic; the US is, after all, a republic too)
Lt - glad to hear you're leaving the sandbox safely. Enjoy that beer. I relished my first when I got back CONUS in '98 as a young 1Lt.
Been checking your blog weekly ... I tell everyone out here in Corporate America about it.
Enjoyed the stories and hope you put it all in a book.
LT
To you and your Company, Prost/Cheers/Bottoms Up. Thank you for your service. You are an amazing writer. Hope you all get the "recognition" you've earned. Take care, God Bless, have a safe ride home. God Bless America, our troops, Mr. Bush, and a FREE IRAQ!!
Safe trip to Germany. Another free meal if you are ever in the S.F. Bay Area. will keep checking back as I want to see what the end of the situation in Fallujah looked like. Take it easy and rest, You've earned it. If you ever want to discuss first person shooters, or tank simulators drop me a line
edbado (at) rdwarf.com
--The Game Guy
Thank you for your no BS insight into your duties while in Iraq.I hope you will enjoy Germany much more,than before.
LT.
Thank you for the great job you and your team have done. Major league all the way. I have made your blog a daily read. Like reading a daily Tom Clancy posting.
Beers are on me if you are ever in the DC/Northern VA area. That may be when you get your Pentagon assignment.
iceman_1955@cox.net
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I too am humbled, grateful, and inspired by your courageousness and your selfless sacrifice.
Bravo Zulu!
When you're book deal goes thru...please promise me that if anyone of my former bretheren in Hollywood comes knocking for film rights you will say: KISS MY BOOTS! They will simply do what they have done to Bing Wests project....decimate it by adding MORE deaths...and discounting the brave actions truly taken by many Marines during that seige.
Stay safe until you back in Germany!
And keep on writing your story..because it will be your voice and those that were truly in Iraq - that willl shape the narrative for generations to come.
Red Six,
Over here at Iraqi Bloggers Central we've been featuring and linking to your entries whenever possible. Thanks for the great writing and for the service to our country.
The whole story of the great work you guys did in Fallujah is yet to be told because one journalist -- Kevin Sites -- tried to jump to Big-Time reporter status by kicking our military in the nuts. Sorry, but that's how I feel. I read Sites' explanation. It didn't work for me. So much of the success of that operation was clouded by Sites' video.
And where is Kevin Sites today?
*
Red Six,
Been reading your blog for a long while though I've never posted. I'm so glad to hear you'll be redeploying for CONUS soon. Continue to be safe and Welcome Home. Will look forward to more when you start writing again.
If you're ever passing through Chicago, sustenance and libation is on me. :) Thanks for all you do, take care and God Bless!
Lorene
Hah. That mad bomber sotry reminded me of this. It's a VW ad, and probably features that suicide bomber's brother.
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/592/
Well RED 6 You guys take extra good care of yourselves 'til that plane hits the ground in Germany. Thank you for the insights into your world. I am tickled pink to know you are going home. Reading your powerful stories I've come to worry about you all as I worry about my own son and his friends serving in different services around the world. God Bless you all, and I will continue to pray that each of you arrive home whole and healthy.
There was an article in the LA paper about one of these bombers. A guy from Jordan. He wanted to DO SOMETHING. So he paid someone to smuggle him into Iraq. And he stayed with 4 or 5 other guys who came there for the same reason. And their handlers kept moving them around while getting them ready to do just what your bomber did....or tried to do. Finally, he saw it as a big Fubar and went home. LOL.
I'm not surprised your Bomber screwed up. According to the article, a lot of these "foreign" volunteers are heavy on zeal and light on technical knowhow.
Let's roll!
Dale Andersen
http://playwrighter.blogspot.com/
Hurry home safely, I can't wait to see that smile!
Glad to see you are on your way out of there. I'm wondering if it's your entire unit being rotated, etc???
Once back at your home station, I'm wondering how many of your bro's will PCS, ETC, reeup, re-class, etc.
I also remember how once you get back, the silliness of garrison stuff seems.
I got back from Desert Shield and Desert Storm, (I was with 3d ACR), and within 30 days of us returning we ended up doing an NTC rotation, to "learn how to fight in the desert"...go figure.
Good luck to you my friend. Keep your Gunnery Qual. Flags green, and your beer cold!!!
Let us hear from you.
Seems to me you could go bar-hopping around America. If you're ever in the DC/Baltimore Area, I've got you covered... after Iceman that is.
Thanks for keeping it real for us.
God Bless.
Well a least it is good to hear that you are in one piece and are coming home and are in good spirit.
Too bad this war is BS and all based on lies... but that is not your fault--gotta follow orders.
Be safe. Be well.
Awesome site, BTW if you are looking for insurgent filmed videos for your analysis, go to ogrish.com and look them up in the archives.
As a fellow Abn/Rgr in the 82nd, welcome home and good work. We spent 12 months there at the beginning and didnt see the things that you all saw. Thanks for your comments on the CIB & CCB, I agree
ALL THE WAY!
Matt Rasmussen
Neil...Thank God you met with an
incompetant suicide bomber! Proud
of you and your men. Thank you for
serving our country.
Oh, man, LT, if you collect on half the beverages you've been promised, you're going to be one smashed Tanker by the time you get home.
Stop by Lawn Guyland on your way home and I'll be happy to add to your liquidity.
Job well done, and I do hope you'll keep writing.
I just want to thank you for your service and your wonderful reporting/story telling. I'd buy a book for sure...
I just found your Blog about a month ago, and I hope you come back and write some more, AFTER you take some nice time to be with family and friends and have those most deserved beverages!
Take care and thank you so much from Northwestern Wisconsin!
Hey LT.. If you get anywhere within a few hours of Phoenix, like Vegas, San Diego, LA drop me a line. Well set 'em up and knock 'em down.
Good work soldier.
Hey Neil,
Welcome home! I can't wait to meet you. I've heard so many good things about you. And you look damn sexy in a tank...although I'm biased, considering my husband is a tanker. Here's to you and all of your hard work.
Erin McGuire
I will have several beers in your honor.
Good job, Soldier!
Godspeed.
Good luck and Godspeed, Neil. I'd offer you a beer should you ever make it to the KC area, but from the looks of things you'll never have to buy a beer again...
Wes Seaton
Independence, MO
Neil,
When you ever are in NYC. Leffe Blonde, Brune, Tres Delirums, the occasional Le Chouffe for some fun are on me. Get back safely.
Welcome back to the States! I really appreciate all you've done for this country. It's been great reading your site. I hope you keep blogging. Beers are on me in LA.
Neil -
Glad you're coming home safe. And even though our personal politics are vastly different, I respect you immensely. When you come back to the 'cuse, we'll throw back a few beers and laugh it up. Well - you shouldn't throw anything, because you throw like a girl.
Enjoy that beer LT. you certainly earned it. Thanks for your service and for great stories.
This former tanker salutes you!
Looking forward to reading some more.
Welcome home, and enjoy the beer!
Here's an interesting point: if a suicide bomber doesn't bomb anything, is it just a suicide? Either way glad the moron didn't hurt any of your guys.
Have you been looking for the paris hilton video? Don't bother with the fools that are making you pay for the famous paris hilton... Get the free paris hilton video now! Don't miss your chance to get this hotel heiress paris hilton video!!! :-D
Post a Comment
<< Home