Sunday, January 23, 2005

11 November: Tank Mines




“Well that was fun. Let’s go find some more shit to blow up.” SGT P said. It was around 1200. We had just silenced a row of houses where the enemy had entrenched themselves and lit up Outlaw platoon. It was south west of the cloverleaf and in the open desert. The city itself sort of funneled southwest. Picture a big fat Y. Well actually, I guess HY would be a better graphic, since the west side of the city where the Marines were, went straight north and south. We were at the junction of the Y, which was the industrial zone, looking southwest.

“Hey, Sir. Look at all those houses out there. It looks like a whole ‘nother city. Do you think we are going there?” I bent down into the GPSE. Several kilometers away, SGT P was looking at what seemed like an annex to the city. There was an open landfill between the industrial zone and the start of another built up area. But this built up area had magnificent two and three story houses. The houses looked pretty big. And they were immaculate. Unmolested by artillery and main gun rounds.

“No way. There’s no way we’re going down there. That shit looks another city; as big as what we just cleared up here.” I was under the impression that now that we had cleared the industrial zone, we would establish strongholds in the city, and run humvee patrols out of them in an effort to mop up the mess. I also didn’t fully grasp how big the city really was. Nor did anybody at the company level and below know exactly how the plan would unfold from here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back at the LRP

“Well the Marines have finally caught up with us. We are moving south to clear everything south of the Industrial Zone,” CPT Mayfield told us.

Shows how much I know.

“Pretty much the entire RCT-7 has the insurgents on the run and they are hauling ass south. The enemy is believed to have fallen back to this location. There are supposed to be civilians in the area so be careful what you shoot at. Get positive I.D. on your targets. Avenger and Terminator are switching spots. So Avenger will be on your immediate right or west flank as we move south. Again, you can shoot anything south of here after you get PID, but check your fires west and east where the Marines are in an outer cordon. We’re expecting the fiercest resistance here.”

I laughed inside. Resistance. I hadn’t seen much resistance. I had seen bad guys on the run, but nobody stood toe to toe with us and fought.

In Baqubah, terrorists in headwraps stood anywhere from 30 to 400 meters in front of my tank. They stopped, squared their shoulders at us just like in an old fashioned duel, and fired RPGs at our tanks.

I didn’t expect much in terms of resistance. But there was a new element. I wasn’t thrilled about facing civilians. So far, there hadn’t been a single civilian in TF2-2’s sector. We had been free to light up the insurgents as we saw them. And because of that freedom, we were able to use main gun with less restriction. But this could make things tougher.

“It’s 1200 now. LD is 1400. We move south. Neil, your platoon leads, followed by Hunter.” CPT Mayfield said.

Getting into the nooks and crannies of the city, I decided to stay task organized. I would take Legion 9 to be my wingman. That little turret could swing so fast in the city, and poles and buildings wouldn’t restrict the short 25mm gun tube. Not to mention the Bradley could run circles around the tank, literally. But my tank would still take point. You can’t beat ol’ Blinkey for armored protection.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I call my baby, Blinkey, ever since she got one of her headlights blown off in Baqubah by an RPG. The RPG had ripped open that little corner of the hull and exposed the depleted uranium armor. She’s taken so much battle-damage that we’re being told she will never return to duty after this deployment. In April, my tank was signed over to Charlie Company when they went to Najaf. She took RPGs and caught on fire then too. She’s been through just about every major battle this brigade has seen. Even when her original crew had not. Supposedly, she will be coded out, ripped apart and studied at a lab. If that’s true, that breaks my crew’s hearts. She has taken a pounding and kept her crew alive. She should be bronzed and placed on a concrete slab at Ft. Knox for everyone to see.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At 1400, we were poised along PL Mike. It ran southwest along the eastern side of the industrial zone, and then turned straight south to the end of Fallujah which was out of sight.

“Hey Sir, look at that shit.” Across the road, some obstacles and wire were strewn about. We moved in for a closer look. There were a few tires laid out and some other strange obstacles. Some of the discs looked like giant smoke alarms.

“Oh shit. I think those are mines.” And by the size of them, they look like anti-tank mines. “Back up Mewborn. We’ll hit it with .50cal.” We stopped about one hundred meters back.

Df-Df-Df-Df-Df-Df- BOOM. “Jesus that woulda sucked,” SGT P said.

The explosion from the mine was about the size of the tank. It was safe to say we all would have been safe inside the tank, but it probably would have blown our track off. If it had tilt-rods and hit our belly, it might have killed Mewborn in the driver’s hole.

We continued to destroy a few more. Df-Df-Df-Df-Df-Df-Df- BOOM

Df-Df-Df-Df-Df-Df-Df- BOOM. SSG Terry and SFC Lanpher, my infantry platoon sergeant, were blowing up mines on another avenue of approach on our right flank. But they were shooting at the dirt. We were shooting at obstacles in the road. Yet still, they were setting off mines and explosives. SSG Terry waved and smiled at me with a big grin while he popped off more rounds. Brass and links littered his turret top. Damn. I don’t know how they saw shit buried in the dirt. But that is some good work. I was really impressed. It was either SSG Terry or his gunner SPC Stoker who saw that. Or possibly SFC Lanpher and his crew, but regardless, I was in awe. They continued to blow up more mines while I stayed focused on our avenue of approach. We all held our positions.

Suddenly, several tanks came careening out of some alleys from our rear right side and passed right through us. What the hell was going on? I looked at the tank commanders as they rolled by. I saw my platoon sergeant, SFC Kennedy roll by us. His loader, SPC Roby, waved to us as they cut right in front of us. They were followed by 2nd platoon from Avenger company. Then the M88 came roaring by us and the rest of the mechanics tore by in the PCs. Everyone was blowing by us like bats out of hell.

“Jesus Christ, do these guys realize they just drove where all these mines had been? What the hell’s wrong with them?” My section was appalled at how these guys just recklessly cut in front of us with no regard to the mines that had just been there. And these were our own brothers, from our own company.

We watched them push ahead of us a few hundred meters and turn hard right back into the city and disappear. I assumed that the roads had canalized them until they had no choice but to enter our sector in order to position themselves. That’s the problem with MOUT when you’re in armored vehicles. The terrain dictates your entire movement. And it’s very unforgiving.

”All mech platoon elements, this is Red 6. Let’s move forward and get online with Avenger.” I figured if they were that far ahead of us, we might as well be even with them. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to keep track of the front line trace.

We pulled up to the intersection where they turned off. There were two piles of dirt about 15 feet high. The piles were staggered and on either side of the road on our right so it created sort of a serpentine that you had to swerve through if you drove it. I looked west past the berms and saw Avenger organized on our right. They were a few hundred meters due west of us.

“Look at the FUCKING ROCKET!” Someone said over the net. SGT P traversed to the right and sure enough, there was what looked like a huge artillery shell resting at the top of the berm pointed at me. It was so ridiculous. It was poised with the peak of the berm right in its center, so obviously it was placed there. “BACK UP, MEWBORN!”

“Legion 7, Red 6. Can you get on the other side of that thing and hit with 25mm?” I wanted to destroy it but I didn’t want to use main gun. And because of the location and the terrain, the Bradley would be more agile than a tank weaving through there. Plus we couldn’t shoot at it from the way we were oriented because Avenger was on the other side.

SFC Lanpher looked at me and laughed. ”Uh…roger.” He wasn’t too thrilled about having to pass in front of it in order to get behind it to shoot it. But as with everything, it would be funny in retrospect when we made it out alive. We all backed up as Legion 7 pulled in front of us. I looked back and saw all of the scout humvees behind us like little ducklings. 1LT Boggiano wasn’t there though. His platoon was off in the distance to our east. He was screen lining with his platoon in the open desert, observing west into the city we were about to enter.

POCK- POCK- POCK- POCK- POCK- POCK

SFC Lanpher had gotten onto the west side of the berm and started shooting at it from west to east from about one hundred meters away. He had a building behind him and he was down in his turret as his Bradley barked away at the rocket. The dirt all around the rocket kicked up as the 25mm HE was exploding around the rocket.

POCK- POCK- POCK- POCK-ZZZZfffffffeeeeew!

A blazing hot pink bright fire shot out of the rear of the rocket and it launched at the speed of a bullet into the sky. It shot up at a 60-degree angle and disappeared.

“HOLY SHIT!”
“NO WAY THAT JUST HAPPENED!”

”Oh shit, Red 6. Did you just fucking see that?” Legion 7 hollered and laughed over the troop net. I was in shock. It was one of the funniest, most random things to happen. We all had expected the rocket to explode.



Outlaw Platoon. Oh shit.

”Did anyone see where that rocket took off to? Or landed? Outlaw 1 is out there.”

The rocket had launched in that exact same direction. But we didn’t hear an explosion. We continued to laugh some more about what had just happened, but our joy was cut short.

BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM.

“What the fuck is going on?”
The building behind SFC Lanpher was blowing up. I could see the impact of the rounds launching concrete chunks in every direction behind SFC Lanpher. He looked surprised, confused and angry at the same time.

”Jesus Christ. Someone is shooting at us.” SFC Lanpher said over the net.

”Legion 7, Red 6. GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.”

“Langford. Put me on Avenger’s freq, NOW.” Langford bent down and switched channels to Avenger’s frequency.

”This is the Real Red 6. CEASE FIRE. CEASE FIRE. CEASE FIRE. Who’s shooting at us.” I was absolutely furious. We were so close to a fratricide right there.

“Ah Sir. NO ONE was shooting at you.” It was White 7. He clearly thought I was mistaken. Now I was boiling.

”This is Red 6. We are 300 meters DUE EAST OF YOU. Who was just shooting from west to DUE EAST? And from the looks of it, with 25 mike mike?”

Silence.

There was a long pause on the net. ”Red 6, Avenger 7. We were engaging an RPG team to our east.”

”Negative. My Legion 7 just engaged a rocket that was east of you, which put itself into orbit just now.”


There was more silence.

“Avenger 6, this is Red 6. Engaged and destroyed one fortified enemy RPG position. Over.” It was the Bradley lieutenant who was attached to the Bravo section of my tank platoon. He was now using my Red 6 call sign since he was working with my platoon sergeant, SFC Kennedy, who is Red 7.

“Jesus Christ, Langford. Get me off this net.” He switched back to Phantom’s troop net.

“Did you hear them say they got a dude with an RPG.” SGT P asked.

“Yeah no shit. 100 bucks says that RPG was our rocket we just set off.” I was so angry. I had made visual contact with Avenger. They knew we were right around here because they had just blown right past us. I guess this was part of the fog of war. Things can get pretty hairy in a tight environment. Situational awareness is a matter of life and death.

1LT Boggiano had no reports of any rounds impacting, so we knew he was safe. Luckily, we made it out of that ordeal scratch free. But it was ugly. It could have been much worse.

 Posted by Hello

27 Comments:

Blogger REDSIX said...

Again, thank you all for the kudos. I couldn't have done this without my soldiers. My men are slowly getting the awards they deserve. It's not as simple nowadays to say "I won't accept this unless my men get one too." There is a lot of paperwork involved, but I guess that's what officers do. Paperwork!

Mission schedules are about to get crazy getting ready for these elections but my soldiers are excited to be part of something historic. American soldiers and Iraqis alike are anticipating this great event. An approximate democracy is still better than an absolute tyrannical dictatorship.

Finally, I read in the news that Bin Laden wants to make Iraq the front line for his war against the U.S. Radical Islam is one of the greatest threats to society as we know it. It was around long before we got here....BRING IT, Bin Laden. Better here than at home where my parents live. Oh yeah...and I have tanks.

4:10 AM  
Blogger DangerGirl said...

All along Pres. Bush said one of the objectives of the war on terror was to protect American citizens by bringing the fight to the enemy's backyard, and keep him out of ours!

I thank you personally for taking up that challenge, for choosing to put yourself in harms way, (even thoough it sounds like you're having too much fun -we all know its a dangerous mission) and for the sacrifices you and all your soldiers make daily to plant the seeds of democracy in Iraq, to usurp radical Islam and to keep Americans safe.

( and you do it with humour - "Bring It Bin Laden, better here than where my parents live, and I have tanks!" ROFLMFAO!!)

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo. I'm an ABCD (that's American-Born Confused Desi to the rest of you) who is firmly against the war and its idiot of a Commander-In-Chief, and I'd be lying if I said I supported the troops. However, I like your stories. Nice blog.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the ABCD. I'm sorry you don't support troops who fight for democracy and progress. Fortunately, hypocrites like you expose your own fallacies when you post comments on a website. I wish you could see the Iraqis here using Internet Cafes for the first time. And being proud of their satellite dishes and new cars. And see how proud they are to be voting for the first time in 3 decades.

Enjoy exercising your freedoms here; freedoms fought and won by the barrel of a gun.

-RED SIX

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and your crew on the Silver Star. You write really well... forget medicine, you ought to get into the writing business. You are gonna give Tom Clancy a hard time.
Good to hear about you guys... the morale seems so high in your unit. I hope it's the same everywhere. Be safe.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are doing a great job. Keep up the writing, you are gaining more fans every day. Everyone I know here supports the troops and are VERY grateful for you guys and the freedoms you protect.

Kevin G in St. Louis, MO

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit. Neil Prakash? Johns Hopkins/ROTC/Pike Neil Prakash? (According to the blurb on the above right, the answer to that is yes.)

Wow. Well it was always a small world, which the internet has now made smaller. Anyway, I'm Hopkins '02 myself (you probably don't remember me as we barely talked, but you might remember my friends Laura, Marcia and Camille), and I just wanted to say that you've done not only our country proud, but our class as well.

You might get some trolls and hecklers here now (you've been linked by Instapundit; the odd thing is I'd been here before through another link, but didn't see your name until Glenn Reynolds mentioned it). Ignore them - they sure as hell don't represent the majority of us who respect at your courage and admire your leadership of your platoon. After reading the 1st Infantry Div news story, it's clear that your Silver Star was well-earned.

You know, I just want to say...it would have been really easy (and safe) to go to med school after senior year instead of into the service; that you instead decided to put your life on the line to fight for democracy and promote progress...well it's a humbling thing for me to contemplate back over here stateside. I've tried to do my part over here (working for the fed. gov't in this arena, to be publicly vague about it), but it doesn't compare to actually risking a bullet. So congratulations on your medal, and thank you for defending our country and working to bring a better government to the Iraqis over there.

Stay safe and give those insurgent SOBs hell.

Regards,
Jeff Blehar '02

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil,

We have a common from from Hopkins, which is how I noticed your site (also the Instapundit link).
Congrats - good job.

Couldn't agree with you more on the impact of the invasion on common Iraqis (tv, cars etc). I think many people don't realize that this was not only a political liberation, but also an economic one. As a desi FOB, I remember how much that matterred when India opened up its economy in 1991... and the rest, as they say, is history (widely/rapidly increasing prosperity etc).

Hopefully the Iraqi people will also grow richer quickly, and begin taking responsibility for their destinies the way people in market economies do. Hopefully our troops will return soon, with a job well done.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Wunderkind said...

hi. read about your medal and your blog in a delhi newspaper, and decided to check it out. am a retd army offr's daughter myself, and have always been interested in all things military....
you write really well, and it's nice to see such sincerity in someone.anyway, keep blogging.i know i'm gonna come back.
take care.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question: I just saw this site via Instapundit. Are you Indian? Either way, congratulations, and keep up the good work!

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
U probably r gonna be flooded with congrats msg real soon from India now; cos as "wunderkid" wrote in her blog a popular daily here(India-Delhi) featured u in a half page story on weekend & that made quite an impressive read. Most of us got ur blog id from that article but I'm sure none of us was prepared for ur articles/stories on the blog.Impressive to say the least!
May u always retain ur sense of humour in the grim job & conditions u hv to put thro, in the task u folks hv been assigned and safely return home to ur folks.
God Bless U & Ur platoon.
from sm1 with currently 4 fmly members serving as officers in Indian Army.
Noida-India.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Parcho said...

Thanks for what you do.

And as for the Bin Laden "bring it" line...I know you have tanks...but you also have the best soldiers/Marines/sailors/airmen in the world behind you.

Oh yeah...and big guns...really big guns.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent read!! Came through on link thru instapundit. Just want to say as an average American that I thank you and your crew on all that you have done! Can't express how proud and impressed I am with the men and women in our military!

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi--name is Bruce, actually, I just didn't want to fiddle with registration. I'm part of the Instalanche. I can't tell you enough how proud I am to be part of a country that's defended by guys like you. Godspeed, everyone!

7:24 AM  
Blogger remoteman said...

Lt. Prakash, congratulations on your Silver Star and thanks to you and your crew for the great work you are doing in Iraq. I am confident that the world will look back on your efforts as one of the most selfless acts in human history. I and my family are so proud of you and the other soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines participating in this grand experiment. I am fortunate enough to work with military personnel regularly and I am always impressed with the quality and character of those I meet. Our country is lucky to have men like you. Thank you for your service (and for the great blog).

2:17 PM  
Blogger AFSister said...

Hey, Red6!
Great story- again.
I loved reading about the rocket- your description of how it was launched was priceless! I can just imagine how pissed you guys must have been when he called out "RPG unit destroyed" Ha! What a joke. I hope he honestly believes they took out an enemy RPG post and wasn't just trying to cover his ass.

Until next time... take care!

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LT Prakash:

In case you weren't aware, Globas Security has an extensive collection of satellite imagery of Fallujah at
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/fallujah-imagery.htm

If you have some image-processing software available to you, it might be fun to illustrate your installments using these images as maps.

For example, here is a plot of where US forces had advanced as of 10-Nov-04 (red arrows advancing north to south; TF 2-2 has the eastern sector of the city; the "cloverleaf" shows up clearly on the eastern end of Phase Line Julie, the east/west main road that bisects the city).

And here's a closeup of the industrial area where you were manuevering on 11-Nov-04
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/fallujah-imagery-industrial.htm
Phase Line Mike is marked in green along the southeastern edge ("At 1400, we were poised along PL Mike. It ran southwest along the eastern side of the industrial zone, and then turned straight south ....").

Fascinating narrative -- I eagerly await each new episode. My thanks for your service to our great country.

-- Dean

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot to paste an URL in previous comment.

... where US forces had advanced as of 10-Nov-04 ...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/fallujah-imagery-forces_s.htm

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was grumpy and slightly depressed. Little good news from friends blogs, and things were just making me feel down. I thought I should go check your blog and see if there was a new Update. There was, and Sgt. P's opening line, made me smile. I feel a lot better.

Went to Toys R Us, and lunch and got a 1/18th scale toy M-1 Abrams for 9 bucks on sale. It now sits on the wall of my cube, challenging all comers. You going to post photosh of Blinky so that modellers might be able to make the tank for diaramas, and such? Tactical Markings and scars, and all.

Looking forward to reading more. Congrats on the Silver star for you and the crew, and stay safe.

The Game Guy.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, a million thank you's are not enough to express the importance of the work, the beauty of your commitment and dedication to the security of the United States and by extension, Iraq.

There is many feet of snow here in Boston, a stark contrast to what you've got there, though being in Dorchester, the number of guns on the street and in houses is probably not too disimilar.

Again, my gratitude.

Best to you all and Godspeed.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

um, there ARE many feet. Boy, do I sound dumb.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

http://www.1id.army.mil/1ID/News/January/Article_57/Article_57.htm

Congratulations Neil on the well deserved Silver Star..you are an inspiration! Your bravery and that of your fellow soldiers is amazing.

oh, and on a more personal level that has to be the most beautiful smile I've seen in a LONG time :)

Stay safe!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Hey, I just wanted to point out that the December issue of "Danger Forward" covers Fallujah and even has pictures of LT Boggiano and SGT Bremer in action. It is located at the 1ID website
http://www.1id.army.mil/1ID/Danger_Forward/Danger_Forward.htm

Keep up the good work!

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are the shit. Stay safe. God Bless you all for your service to our great nation.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OPSEC. OPSEC. OPSEC. OPSEC. We're reading.
-Big Brother

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a link to an article written by a reporter present at the incident in Baqubah for which Lt. Prakash was later awarded a silver star.

http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/mumford/mumford7-29-04.asp

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fortunately, hypocrites like you expose your own fallacies when you post comments on a website"

Okay I gotta stick up for the ABCD - what is this supposed to mean? You might think he's misguided, but where's the hypocrisy?

Laissez-faire free market capitalism is great, it's a shame the US only pays lip service to it (agricultural subsidies, trade protectionism, etc.) How's that for hypocrisy?

These are 100% admirable ideals you believe in.

But democracy is not a viable system in some nations. Whether this is true for Iraq or not, we'll see.

Most Western democracies evolved their systems over centuries - it's impossible to impose the end result on a nation that doesn't have the history and hasn't learned the lessons its own way.

Or maybe it isn't, good luck trying.

It must be really satisfying to see these things you mention. But I worry that Iraq's new freedom will be hijacked by the fundamental Islamists and that women will disappear beneath the veil. The dictatorship was bad, but it did suppress the Islamists as much as the democrats.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home