Tuesday, May 24, 2005

My Own Worst Enemy




I never really planned on putting any current personal life stuff up here. I guess the wedding post will be posted only because of demand. But this story is too funny or idiotic not to mention.

It was Saturday morning, around 10am on 21 May. My new mountain bike was assembled and I needed to pump some air into it with my brand new bike pump. In order to use it, I had to cut a thick zip tie that held the air hose to the main shaft of the bike pump. I was going to use my needle-nosed pliers which have wire snips at the joint, but there wasn’t enough space in the zip tie to slip the pliers up in there and cut. So I grabbed my big ass CRKT knife and began my cut. And that’s when my common sense left the building. The knife snapped through the zip tie and into the meat between my left thumb and forefinger. I looked at the cut, it was weird. It wasn’t a slice, but rather a huge gap. I was baffled by the appearance of the injury but stopped caring when blood poured out of the wound like a faucet. It was dark and didn’t spurt so I knew it wasn’t an artery. But it was pouring all over the floor. I clamped down on it with my right hand and held it tight with pressure to stop the bleeding and went into my TA-50 room. All the single lieutenants in Germany live in at least a 3 bedroom apartment. And one of these rooms ends up housing all of our gear. It takes an entire room to hold all the crap we’re issued.

My left hand was completely covered solid with blood but at least it stopped dripping. I found my body armor leaning up against the wall and opened my medic pouch. In it were 2 field dressings. Not those bad ass new Israeli field dressings we were issued in Iraq that convert into a tourniquet. These were the old school field dressings. The thick white pads with two long wraps on either side. I grabbed a field dressing with my left hand while my right was still clamped down and walked to the kitchen. Over the sink, I brought my left hand to my mouth and opened the plastic with my teeth.

Well. You’re gonna need your right hand to apply this dressing.

I let go of the wound and grabbed the dressing. The wound was still gaping. I stared into the hole at a white cord. It was was my tendon from my thumb. Suddenly, blood spurted out of my hand and all over my dishes. Blood landed on my dish drying rack. Oh man! Not my clean dishes. Dammit. Blood splattered on my coffee machine and my blender and just poured onto all my dirty dishes in the sink as I spread out the dressing. Man this is gonna suck to clean up.

I wrapped the wound with my right hand as I held one end of the wrap with my teeth. I tied 2 over-hand knots and looked around for my car keys. I had to drive to post to get this stitched up. Well I can’t drive manual like this so the old BMW hooptie is out of the question. I grabbed my Pathfinder keys, my cell phone and my military ID and headed outside. I tried to figure out if I had lost too much blood and if it was dangerous to be driving a vehicle. What the heck do I know about that? Well, I don’t feel dizzy so I guess I’m fine. If I start to feel dizzy, I’ll just pull over and call someone. The reason I hadn’t called anyone yet was because 1) this was stupid and didn’t seem to be a crisis and 2) this was quicker my way. I didn’t want to wait for someone to show up.

As I drove to post, I called Sarah to find out if she thought I should go to the hospital in Amberg or if the clinic was capable of stitching me up, or if they were even open on Saturdays. She wasn’t sure but fortunately, the clinic was open from 0900-1200 on Saturdays. A major sat me in a treatment room and said he’d be back. Apparently there were a lot of patients and he was busy. Thus far, I had not felt any pain. He came back ten minutes later to look at the wound.

“Who put this field dressing on?” He asked.
“I did.”
“That’s pretty good.”

He cut the dressing off and poked around with one of those long thick cotton swabs. He lifted the skin and poked under the white tendon. Blood came out in little puddles.

“The tendon is still intact. You're very lucky. You just severed some veins and cut maybe an artery.”

“Hey Doc. What if I had just left the dressing on and didn’t get this stitched up? Would I just have a nasty scar? Would I be fine otherwise?” I asked.

“As long as it didn’t get infected, you would be fine except for a killer scar. See all this space under the tendon?” He pushed the tendon towards one side as I peered into the hole. It was in fact very spacious down in there. Not at all like what I had expected. “It’s easy for an infection to set in there.” I was comforted by what I heard though.

“Irrigate this with 2 liters of water. I’ll be back. I have to see another patient.”

He left me in the hands of a specialist who began pouring sterile water into the gap with a big plastic syringe. And that’s when it finally hurt. Oh god did it hurt. For the first time, I had to look away. I suddenly felt real cold and sweat started pouring down my forehead. My head was running like a faucet, I rubbed my forehead against the sleeves of my t-shirt. I looked at my forearms. The hair was completely matted down and my arms were drenched. I completely soaked through my t-shirt in minutes. Sweat dripped off of my 4 fingertips faster than I’ve ever seen before.

“I think I’m going to puke.” I said. The specialist grabbed a garbage can and pulled it up to me.

“You’ll feel better after you do. A guy cut off his finger three days ago and we went through this exact same stuff before we re-attached it,” he said to me. "After he puked, he felt better."


"I don't want to puke. I don't like puking."

“Ok, maybe 1 liter will do it. “ And with that he stopped.

The doctor came back. “I am going to anesthetize the wound and then we will stitch it up. It will feel like a pinch, and then a burn as the anesthetic spreads. This will be the only time it’s going to hurt.”

Besides the irrigating part.

He stabbed at the open flesh three times with a needle, each time pumping some juice into my hand. I felt the pinch, and it did hurt. But I never felt the burn.

Now I was feeling better again and I watched closely as he put in the first 5 sutures. He let the specialist put in the last two for practice. He did the first one well, but he had to poke into the fascia a few times with the needle before he got a good grip on the flesh. They closed me up and I was on my way home in no time.

I went home and dreaded cleaning up all the blood. Blood doesn’t come out that easily. I reminded myself to get more field dressings from Doc. Those things are handy and soak up buttloads of blood. I issued myself a “No Knives” profile for a week, effective immediately.

I asked Doc Ledlow later how venous blood spurted if there was no pressure. He said if you clamp down on the wound, sometimes the vein clots up a bit and pressure builds up that will give off a few good spurts.

The funny thing about all of this is, 5 days prior to this incident, I was at the bar with my buddy CPT Lawrence and one of the FNGs, Keith Wei. After too many shots of tequila, I tried to do a handstand out in the parking lot. As it turns out, I don’t know how to do a handstand, nor did I ever. As I bent over to get up on my hands, I immediately fell down and landed on the bridge of my nose and the left part of my forehead. Explaining that one at work Wednesday was fun. And now the bandage on my hand this past Monday morning. I managed to come out of Iraq practically unscathed. And now, I’ve injured myself more in the past week than any terrorist has in an entire year. That’s hilarious. And I’m an idiot.

Since I’ll be in Croatia with Boggiano this weekend, I’ll be cutting the sutures out myself. Doc Ledlow(holding his baby in the “Unstoppable” video) taught me how to remove sutures. How hard can it be?

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh. Well, you said it. Hardly a scratch riding old "Blinky," now this.

Are you trying to tell us, your faithful readers, something?

10:46 AM  
Blogger REDSIX said...

Just 5 sutures to cut now. I just popped two stitches at the gym. I'm not stupid, I'm just reckless. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Yes it's getting through. I have signed a contract with a literary agent. Someday (soon I hope)there will be a book out...and all SSG Terry wants is 2 signed copies. Are any of you just going to hit "Print" and staple all the pages together? Because that's sort of like a book.

The Yell: Thanks for the compliments. SLA Marshall isn't bad. LTC Grossman's On Killing is pretty interesting too. But those days are over. COL Pittard was talking to us about the most common response in this brigade to the question: What do you want do the most?
Kill bad guys.

Also, I could talk your ear off about Shiite and Sunni divisions and why my interpreter Khalid hated Sunnis so much but I don't know if you guys want to hear about that stuff. Besides, do you guys really want to hear one more man's opinion?

About 9/11, I would have to agree with the opinion that it doesn't resonate much with most Americans. Even when it happened, I felt like unless you were on the East Coast, the average person may not have been directly affected by it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are people out there from all over the country who may have lost loved ones. Of course, if you are in the military or related to a servicemember, it's safe to say you've been affected.

I remember my best friend Eric Barker was looking out at all of the American flags on cars with me. And he said, "It's going to be sad when all this patriotism wears off and the flags disappear." That was some beautiful scenery on the American landscape, wasn't it?

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you write a book... I can't get enough of the stories from the Mil Bloggers...

I'm a former Marine, and I have been aching to return and serve, but alas, the Military doesn't want me anymore (back surgury) and my wife and child would prefer I don't leave either...

But I enjoy reading everything you write and will continue to enjoy whatever you post.

Thanks for all the stories!

J. Borgmann
Lima Co. 3/7 Marines
1990-1994

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not help myself from laughing at/with your post. As a young stud Marine in Grenada, I was assaulting....somithing.....and ran through my own grenade (the other guy's said it was an 61 mortar barrage...anyway I was hit in the foot...WOW! Afterwards, we all took a good look at my foot and we were all surprised at how much hollow space there was at the base of my big toe under the tendons. We called Doc over and he had no answers and wrote it up on my ticket as an anomoly. After skiping the evac. and wrapping my foot and boots in duct tape (no s**t) I lasted about 6 hours. Moral of the story...hmm? a) you sometimes find nothing when you least expect it. b) I have been stabbed (TX), blown up (Grenada) again (Lebanon) Shot (Namibia) and caught on fire (Guatamala) at 42 I regret deeply not listening to the doc's

Former tough guy Jarhead

Good luck and well done!!

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typical shit. Go on a deployment and get hurt when you get home doing stupid stuff. Keep it safe, go do two years of BS staff time and then take a company back to Iraq. We need people like you out front.

4:56 AM  
Blogger GunnNutt said...

"...but I don't know if you guys want to hear about that stuff. Besides, do you guys really want to hear one more man's opinion?"

Hell yeah we want to hear your opinion!!! And many of us will shell out dough to buy multiple copies of your book. (I have such a hard time getting back copies of Whittle's book Silent America from the people to whom I've lent them, that I just buy more books.)

6:32 AM  
Blogger AFSister said...

OMG! Neil.. I hope you don't mind, but I am laughing my ass off at you right now! oh man......

A year in combat, MAJOR combat, and the most serious injury you get happens at home. With your own knife. Sounds like something I would do, actually. OK- sounds like something I HAVE done... LOL. I guess we're both reckless!

It's amazing to me that it didn't hurt until the irrigation. You must have severed all of the pain receptors too. Amazing. I wonder if you'll have numbness around the scar? I cut off a little bit of my thumb, and lost feeling for years even though it pretty much regenerated. I have full feeling there now though, and a perfectly round scar. Our bodies do amazing things!

Oh- and the comment you made about Eric and the sea of red, white and blue following 9/11 was spot on. It was a beautiful sight. I remember the first flag I saw after that event. It was on a big, very old pick up truck filled with tool boxes. This gorgeous flag was on a pole high above the truck, like a banner, telling the rest of the world that America is a proud nation, and we're not ashamed to show our colors. It brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks for being there for us Neil. I'm glad you're only reckless at home, and not in the tank, btw! LOL... be safe?

6:57 AM  
Blogger AFSister said...

OH- and YES! we want to hear your opinions. Why else do you think we keep coming here? *dinks Neil on forehead*

And YES! we will buy the book, and not just print and staple. I told CB the same thing for the most part (but I didn't dink him on the head... LOL).

7:00 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Cripes, LT, leave it to you to get home in one piece and then take an axe to yourself. I'd write myself a note if I were you - "DO NOT use a larger tool than absolutely necessary, unless blowing up terrorists."

I'm born & raised in NY, and I'll tell you nothing affected me like 9/11. I could see the Towers from a park in my nieghborhood as a kid, and I still feel weird looking at that empty space. I think it resonates more than you do, but time heals even the worst wounds & people have forgotten a bit.

And you write anything you want - I'll buy a copy.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just goes to show, you are still just a dumb ass LT. Doofus!

Can't wait to see the book come out.

If Dana Pittard gets on a roll, ask him about his old days as Eagle Troop commander... That should be a good way to distract him from chewing your ass for a little while.

MajMike

10:41 AM  
Blogger REDSIX said...

Hey MajMike,
You're right. Some things never change. And I will be sure to ask COL Pittard about his Cav days. He's on his way out soon but I always stop to bullshit with him.

Gunnnutt, when I was downrange, my buddy Sarah at the weblog TryingToGrok got me a signed copy of Silent America. Like you, I'm dying to lend it out to people, but I'm afraid I'll never see it again. And this copy has a really cool personal entry from Bill so it's priceless.

And BTW, I wouldn't have posted this entry if I DIDN'T want you all to laugh AT me. So go nuts.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LT,
Some actions are hard to rationalize, for example, two years after my return home from Desert Storm I ran a Stop sign and was involved in a Motor Vehicle Collission with a garbage truck. I hate the memory but it sounds funny, after all, how can you miss a big garbage truck?
I hope that you can get back into your BMW without any problems shifting gears, you must really miss it now.
Your personal blog sounds mandatory now that you have whet our appetites with its announced scheduling. Please feel free to describe to us the feel of driving your BMW on the autobahn and watch out for Stop signs.

7:08 PM  
Blogger chaoticsynapticactivity said...

Neil;

I don't usually do more than read a blog and maybe break a smile. Your reality show here had me laughing, too. Like Maj Mike says...I concur, but these are the great stories.

Glad to see you back regularly...got hooked on your superior writing style.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Well, now that you know you aren't really knife-proof and fall-proof maybe you won't do anything really dumb and prove to yourself that you ain't bulletproof neither.
We won't talk about the stupid things I did when I got back from my first tour in the Southeast Asian War Games.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Patrick C. Miller said...

9/11 still resonates with me and many people I know out here in the hinterlands of North Dakota. I remember watching the joint session of Congress after that horrible day, seeing the unity, feeling the patriotism and wondering: How long will it last?

Unfortunately, there are many people in this country who can't put their politics behind them for the good of America. And there are many more who couldn't wait to return to business as usual and act as if nothing of consequence happened.

To this day, I remain in disbelief that not even the bombing of the USS Cole could rouse us from our comfortable national stupor. And now I wonder what it's going to take to make Americans realize that they are at war with a ruthless, barbaric enemy who won't stop until we're all dead or have become devoted disciples of the Muslim religion.

7:13 AM  
Blogger REDSIX said...

Grand Forker,
that last paragraph is a universal law. When will people realize that? We're not going to live in harmony with islamic extremists. There's nothing they want more than to take civilization back to the 13th century. There is no middle ground to achieve with the extremists. And that is because I don't think democracy and freedom should ever compromise themselves to appease anyone. If anyone can present a better model of government, please post a link to some readings here. I would love to read the argument for it.

I remember my mother showed me an amazing article by Thomas Friedman comparing India and Pakistan. No bullshit, he presented a better argument for democracy using those two than in any case I've ever read involving the U.S.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Glad to see you posting regularly. the February-May dry spell was a little too long. Poor Blinky Losing a track like that.

and now the Knife. before i was "Game Guy", I was "Grunt Artist", and had to handle X-Acto knives every day. the trips to the ER, and the loss of blood from my hands became routine, and that was the day job. Knives is to dangerous, that's why they invented guns :-)

Congrats on the book deal, I can't wait, and YES, put your opinions and Khalid's opinions as well. The more "flavor" the better.

--The Game Guy

1:10 PM  
Blogger AFSister said...

Neil- you have to go to thedonovan.com to check out John's latest stitchery... he got you beat by one!

Men... *shakes head... walks away giggling*

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny story....

Same thing happenend to me a while back. Got pushed through a shop window in a fight, and ended up with 15 stitches in my hand.

The stitches are easy to remove, just make sure you get all of the thread out when you cut them.

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

9/11? it's always there. tues was my brother's day off, but he still feels guilty. he lost so many friends. went back to nyc for my mom's funeral last year - first thing my niece said was, "don't ask daddy about the towers".
mj

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil, you're a dumbass! The moral of this story is never let a tank guy play with small arms.

Ray

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, I added you to my favorites.
If you are interested in home based business for woman
, I have a home based business for woman
site.
Feel free to drop by and tell me what you think.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hello and thanks for the information about rent dvd buy. I have a similar interest in rent dvd buy and thought you might like to take a look sometime. Thanks again for the rent dvd buy information.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home