European Support
I received this email from a reader yesterday. I thought I would post it now after learning about the attack on London today:
Hello,
I'm all confused about what I would like to say to you... ok, let's get
started: thank you! then: great job! and again: please tell your fellow
soldiers that there are many, many, many people supporting them, even in
Europe (hey, I'm French. Can you believe that ?).
Yes I know my message is all messed up, I don't even introduce myself...
heh, just take care of you, I'll pray for you,
Bye,
Herve, aka LMAE, from Paris, France
Thanks Herve,
I'm definitely surprised and grateful to get a message like that from
a European, and a Frenchman, no less! I didn't think we even had
support in France, let alone Europe. But the terrible way in which
Islamic fundamentalists regard Muslim women and their freedoms in
France (like not having to cover their face, for example), I would
hope Islamic terrorists would have more enemies than just America and our few allies.
Thanks for your support. Why do you personally stand behind this
mission and America's soldiers? And with your permission, may I
post your email onto my website?
v/r
Neil
Hello M. Prakash,
well... Why do I stand behind America ?
The plan to bring democracy to ME(middle east) seems to be the only one that can
guarantee, if it works of course, a long term solution to islamic terror.
Without functionnal societies, the ME countries will produce an endless
stream of badass bearded people willing to cut throats, release some
deadly virus in the London subway, or unleash a nuke in DC. And since
they have the money they also export their coranic inspired hatred to
the rest of the muslim world: Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippinnes,
Thailand, but also in Europe... so the problem can only go growing!
Therefore, the alternative if the "neo-con" strategy fails, is to rely
on defense for decades, therefore curbing our freedom more and more,
until they decide to stop attacking us (yeah, count on that!), or if
they don't stop to obliterate them with nukes in response to, say, a
smallpox epidemy or a nuke in Central Park (sounds more probable than
them quieting down, heh ?).
Now why is there a lack of support in Europe ? For no good reason: it's
all about anti-americanism, bascially. Bush=Hitler, USA=polluters
[doesn't matter that we're also big polluters, we're jealous cause you
have the nice cars and the low cost gas whereas here it costs 5.5$ a
gallon thanks to taxes and we have cars that provoke laughter from
Americans when they travel to Europe: "oh look, it's so tiny! How can
they fit in ?"], Hollywood=war machine against our sophisticated culture
[60% of French movie-goers prefer to see an American movie rather than a
French one, guess why], California wine=rat piss [at least that's the
message from winemakers who rely on subsidies cause their rat piss
doesn't sell much], MacDonald's=junk food meant to make French women
overweight and clogg our arteries [Mac Donald's France is the most
profitable Mac Donald's branch in the world, and noone forces us to get
there], etc etc...
Of course there's also no reliable information about Iraq in Europe,
except of course for a US and Iraqis bodycount: they're always glad to
report bad news, especially successfull terror attacks and US death. And
there's almost no understanding of the US strategy, and when you make
the point all you can get is a blank stare and then the usual "it's
about oil, you fool!".
Yet there's a tiny minority of US supporters.
Oh, just a quick anecdot: we stayed in NYC on our wedding trip with my
wife, and when we left there was a soldier in desert fatigue at the
airport. He probably was on leave or inbound to Iraq, I don't know. He
was young, younger than I (I was 26, in 2003), and I didn't dare
approaching him and congratulating him. How would he react ? It would
probably be embarrassing to him! Maybe he wanted just to be left alone,
in his thoughts, with his family in his heart, who knows! As he stood
up to take his plane I went to him and told him something like: "Hi, I'm
French and I want you to know that people here support you, whatever the
newspaper may say". I probably said that too quickly and looking at my
feet (damn, this guy risks his life so I can take trips to NYC quietly),
and he didn't answer. I think he thought "hey what the hell did he say
?". By mail it's far easier... I wanted to tell you that just so that
you understand how much I am impressed by your courage and
determination. 4 years later I think I should have taken the trip to
Germany to a US recruiting station in Sept 2001, and that I should be
now in Iraq. Freedom is not free, and the US are paying the price for
all of us. And you, Neil Prakash, went there. How could I thank you ???
If you want to know more, just go ahead, ask, I'll be glad to answer
your questions. Oh, yes, you can use my mails on your blog.
Take care of you,
Herve
Hello,
I'm all confused about what I would like to say to you... ok, let's get
started: thank you! then: great job! and again: please tell your fellow
soldiers that there are many, many, many people supporting them, even in
Europe (hey, I'm French. Can you believe that ?).
Yes I know my message is all messed up, I don't even introduce myself...
heh, just take care of you, I'll pray for you,
Bye,
Herve, aka LMAE, from Paris, France
Thanks Herve,
I'm definitely surprised and grateful to get a message like that from
a European, and a Frenchman, no less! I didn't think we even had
support in France, let alone Europe. But the terrible way in which
Islamic fundamentalists regard Muslim women and their freedoms in
France (like not having to cover their face, for example), I would
hope Islamic terrorists would have more enemies than just America and our few allies.
Thanks for your support. Why do you personally stand behind this
mission and America's soldiers? And with your permission, may I
post your email onto my website?
v/r
Neil
Hello M. Prakash,
well... Why do I stand behind America ?
The plan to bring democracy to ME(middle east) seems to be the only one that can
guarantee, if it works of course, a long term solution to islamic terror.
Without functionnal societies, the ME countries will produce an endless
stream of badass bearded people willing to cut throats, release some
deadly virus in the London subway, or unleash a nuke in DC. And since
they have the money they also export their coranic inspired hatred to
the rest of the muslim world: Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippinnes,
Thailand, but also in Europe... so the problem can only go growing!
Therefore, the alternative if the "neo-con" strategy fails, is to rely
on defense for decades, therefore curbing our freedom more and more,
until they decide to stop attacking us (yeah, count on that!), or if
they don't stop to obliterate them with nukes in response to, say, a
smallpox epidemy or a nuke in Central Park (sounds more probable than
them quieting down, heh ?).
Now why is there a lack of support in Europe ? For no good reason: it's
all about anti-americanism, bascially. Bush=Hitler, USA=polluters
[doesn't matter that we're also big polluters, we're jealous cause you
have the nice cars and the low cost gas whereas here it costs 5.5$ a
gallon thanks to taxes and we have cars that provoke laughter from
Americans when they travel to Europe: "oh look, it's so tiny! How can
they fit in ?"], Hollywood=war machine against our sophisticated culture
[60% of French movie-goers prefer to see an American movie rather than a
French one, guess why], California wine=rat piss [at least that's the
message from winemakers who rely on subsidies cause their rat piss
doesn't sell much], MacDonald's=junk food meant to make French women
overweight and clogg our arteries [Mac Donald's France is the most
profitable Mac Donald's branch in the world, and noone forces us to get
there], etc etc...
Of course there's also no reliable information about Iraq in Europe,
except of course for a US and Iraqis bodycount: they're always glad to
report bad news, especially successfull terror attacks and US death. And
there's almost no understanding of the US strategy, and when you make
the point all you can get is a blank stare and then the usual "it's
about oil, you fool!".
Yet there's a tiny minority of US supporters.
Oh, just a quick anecdot: we stayed in NYC on our wedding trip with my
wife, and when we left there was a soldier in desert fatigue at the
airport. He probably was on leave or inbound to Iraq, I don't know. He
was young, younger than I (I was 26, in 2003), and I didn't dare
approaching him and congratulating him. How would he react ? It would
probably be embarrassing to him! Maybe he wanted just to be left alone,
in his thoughts, with his family in his heart, who knows! As he stood
up to take his plane I went to him and told him something like: "Hi, I'm
French and I want you to know that people here support you, whatever the
newspaper may say". I probably said that too quickly and looking at my
feet (damn, this guy risks his life so I can take trips to NYC quietly),
and he didn't answer. I think he thought "hey what the hell did he say
?". By mail it's far easier... I wanted to tell you that just so that
you understand how much I am impressed by your courage and
determination. 4 years later I think I should have taken the trip to
Germany to a US recruiting station in Sept 2001, and that I should be
now in Iraq. Freedom is not free, and the US are paying the price for
all of us. And you, Neil Prakash, went there. How could I thank you ???
If you want to know more, just go ahead, ask, I'll be glad to answer
your questions. Oh, yes, you can use my mails on your blog.
Take care of you,
Herve

23 Comments:
What a great exchange! It's nice to know that not all French and not all Europeans march in lockstep with the same point of view in our war on terror.
On another interesting sidenote, I live in North Dakota not far from the Canadian border. My wife works in a craft store frequented by Canadian shoppers. She has had many Canadians tell her how much they appreciate what America is doing in Iraq and that they're ashamed at how their government and media treat the US and Bush. Some Canadians actually buy the small American flags sold in the the store to show their support.
Neil and Herve,
You give me hope that there is perhaps a silent - non-minority (I don't dare for a real majority) of people in other countries who understand this mission. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Herve and others,
In my experience, American soldiers are unfailingly polite, and appreciate a handshake and "Thank you for your service". I have done this in US airports - with soldiers in uniform, and those in civvies (it is much easier to ID the male soldiers in civvies - the females can blend right in!), and also overseas. I have always been met with a polite acknowledgement, often a smile, and sometimes some great conversations. Just try not to ask the really dumb questions - did you shoot anyone? That sort of thing.
Thing is, I think I get much more from these brief exchanges - they lift my spirits and leave me both proud and humbled at the same time.
We have some amazing people at the forefront of this war, and I believe we are the luckiest country in the world!
hey hey hey, i'd like to add that even in belgium some people support the american positions, and are supportive of the troops. not everybody agrees with the cowardly stance of our government, which apparently prefers to befriend communist and fundamentalist dictatorships. our government apparently doesn't understand you don't defeat terrorists and the enemies of freedom by pampering them. not everybody is that glad that our diplomacy seems to be very good at promoting the interests of france...
I always suspected it was possible, but Herve proved it. Not all French are brain-dead! Thanks Neil and Herve for getting the word out. Keep trying to convince your friends, Herve, that the GWOT is the right way to bring eventual peace.
javanbrugge, great to hear your voice, too!
Neil and Chris - In light of what happened in London the other day, I am particularly grateful for the work you did in Iraq and your ongoing profession - going after the enemies of the West (America, Britain and those who share our values). I'm sure we will be attacked again, but your work will make it less likely. Thank you.
I also want echo want to thank Herve and Janvanbrugge for supporting the projects of the US and UK.
Neil, thanks so much for posting Herve's comments. Of course not everyone in Europe marches in lockstep to the anti-American point of view. Unfortunately, their numbers are rather small.
Yesterday was a reminder of the good that all of our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines are doing. If it were not for them the attacks at home would be more frequent and far more deadly. I thank you all for your service, your bravery and your dedication. The world is a better, safer place because of what you do.
Cheers for Herve and the rest of our "closet" Allies!...It is only a matter of time before other nations that support the U.S. or not are struck too....By the way...Al Qaida has made it clear that it is not done with Spain, it will be punished for the Reconquista of 600 years ago!!....I agree with Herve that the spread of Democracy is the only way to make Muslim Fundamentalist nations "viable societies"....I LOVE our Troops!
Not only do I appreciate what red6 and crew do, but I also appreciate all of our allies - and that includes folks like Herve (Merci pour le support! -- I do hope the translation widget in Tiger did that right, I'm afraid I'm not a native French speaker).
Oh, and BTW - Herve; Hollywood is an assault against American culture as well! Come to think of it, I've seen better cultures in a petre dish! But, I digress...
Yes, thank you for posting that message from Herve. I've always thought we only hear from 'some' of the French. Real God fearing Islamics don't teach distorted and cruel religion. All cultures have their nut cases, i.e. Jim Jones and his poison koolaid. Islam needs to help more to put a end to these Al-qaeda terrorists, before the entire religion is painted with the same brush.
This young man gets it and I'm very glad the truth is coming out that this Evil doesn't care who it kills. And thank you once again, Neil, for your sacrifice in the service of our country.
OK Guy's and Gals,
You have just been had!
Re-read Herve's comment with a diffirent mind set.
Or maybe thats just me!
Hi, Guys and gals,
Maybe you/I have just been had..?
Please read Harve's comment/letter with a more jaundiced view of folks that mention:
Badass bearded people, London Subway, Nuke in DC, Small pox epidemy, Macdonalds...or maybe I'm just wrong...?
I know numerouse Europeans that are truly on our side, however.....?
DJM
Hi Neil,
THANKS for your great blog!
And THANK
YOU and all the others fighting the terrorist scum.
Even before our actions in Iraq started, Tore, a "internet" friend from Norway told me he was ashamed of his "fellow"
Europeans and that he supported us,
Wish I were young enough to get back in (I was in the 101st)
and be with you over there.
Neil, a kind of a funny. Every Tues.
I play beach volleyball
with a guy named Prakash and my name is
also Neil.
"Hi, Guys and gals,
Maybe you/I have just been had..?"
Do you mean that I'm faking it ? That I mean something else ?
If you want to, check my blog here: LMAE, especially this post: Mail to Neil Prakash and that one: Why LMAE.
I'm sincere actually. I love the US and feel inside me that I am American. Just born in the wrong place like a story said on Den Beste's blog (when it was active, back in the days...).
Hi Lmae,
ooops! thanks for setting me straight. I just returned from Australia with a side trip to Italy, spending a large amount of tourist dollars on our allies. I guess that I was in FPF (final protective fire) mode after chating with some of the younger natives.
Keep on blogging
i totally agree...
i'm from Denmark and i support the american troops more than anything else... hell i'm even going to join the danish forces and go to iraq, afghanistan or kosovo. after all its not me who decide where i wanna go... and we're the american allies too ;) after the terrorists threatened DK i sooo much more wanna kick their ass!
thanks to all who fight so we can remain safe!! :)
PS: I love this blog :)
Glad to see the fighting spirit in the Danes. Like our President said, we will stand with those who stand against tyranny. Despite the bad blood, I think Americans still feel that sacrifice to keep Europe free of terrorism and tyranny might be necessary.
Hey, Does any one happen to know the name of the song thats on the unstoppable mov?
this Canadian is right with you, too, Neil. What a great post by Herve. I just got back from Paris and I loved it, notwithstanding.
Seriously, the key to patching up Euro-American relations is the media - we frankly don't get a fair shake there, at all. Well worn cliches, Cold War propaganda, there isn't serious coverage of Bush, America, or the War on Terror.
Call me crazy, but that hervey guy does not sound French at all. I lived in Germany and Spain and Europeans dont sound like that when they write english. Is just funny, that's all.
Nope, that Herve don't sound European much, but if he's that "American inside" then maybe that explains it...
So, we got French and Danes and Belgians all happily approving of the war...
One nationality conspicuous by its absence is of course the Iraqi... Have you had any exchanges of opinions with any Iraqis regarding the war? Any emails from Iraqi bloggers or any such?
It is their country getting levelled, after all... There's something just a little bit absurd about all these: "Yeah, I'm 100% behind this war, which isn't taking place in my backyard and doesn't involve any of my countrymen..." What does their approval count for?
You get without exception supportive messages on here... Really surprised you don't get loads of anti-US anti-war hecklers? Or do you have to clean up the comments?
I just wish I could see everything as black-and-white as everyone else here, though... I will admit I don't "understand this mission"... To me, fundamentalism is and always was the real enemy... But it looks like Islamic fundamentalism and the power of the mullahs and imams in Iraq are growing stronger... War, poverty and extreme circumstances always tend to drive people to extreme ideologies...
And it's probably a dirty word around here, but I don't know how anyone who is informed about the history can with honesty say that oil politics is not a factor in all this...
Anyway, fascinating reading... Eminently readable style... Take care...
i'm european. To think that all euros (or frenchies) are anti USA is as stupid as thinking all USAmericans are cowboys hehe
So relax! :)
Personally I think its sad that the NATO countries have not a common policy.
Erik from Spain
Post a Comment
<< Home